William D. Ford Direct Loan Program
Under the Direct Loan program, PLUS loans are borrowed directly from the federal government (U.S. Department of Education). Eligibility and approval for this loan is based on a credit check, which is performed by the U.S. Department of Education. Please feel free to contact the Direct Loan Servicing Center at 1-800-848-0979 for any questions regarding the Direct Loan PLUS.
- The interest rate is a fixed 6.84%.
- Parent Loans under the Direct Loan program deduct a 4.272% origination fee.
Example: A $10,000 Parent PLUS loan will net $9,573. Please keep this fee in mind while calculating the actual net amount needed.
To apply for a Parent PLUS loan through the Direct Loan program, please complete the following steps:
STEP 1: Click HERE to complete your Parent PLUS Loan Application
- Sign In
- Click on the "Request a Direct PLUS Loan" link
- Scroll down and click on the "Parent PLUS" link
- Complete the Parent PLUS Loan Application
- Applicants must include a dollar amount on the Parent PLUS loan application! Select the "I would like to specify a loan amount" option, and then input the amount that you would like to borrow within the "Loan Amount Requested" box. DO NOT select the "maximum Direct PLUS Loan amount" option! To help determine the amount that you may need to apply for, please refer to your financial aid award or contact the Financial Aid office at 212-960-5399.
- Complete all of the required fields and submit the application
- Do Not Log Out of the studentloans.gov website! Proceed to Step 2!
STEP 2: If your Parent PLUS Loan Application is approved by Direct Loans, then proceed with completing your Parent PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note on the studentloans.gov website. PLEASE NOTE: If you have completed a Parent PLUS Loan MPN with Direct Loans within the last 10 years, you may not be required to complete a new MPN. It is your responsibility to check with Direct Loans.
- Click on "My Account" on the left hand side of website
- Click on the "Complete Master Promissory Note" link
- Click on the "Parent PLUS" link
- Complete the Master Promissory Note
STEP 3: If your Parent PLUS Loan Application is approved, you will receive an email notification from Direct Loans containing the following subject line: "Parent PLUS Loan Request Confirmation". You are REQUIRED to forward that email to the Office of Financial Aid at email@example.com in order for your Parent PLUS Loan to be officially processed.
Student’s are required to accept their annual Stafford loans BEFORE parent’s can applying for the Parent PLUS loan!