Skip to main content Skip to search
.

 Spring 2021/Covid-19: Please refer to our latest updates here

""

Belz School of Jewish Music

About

The Philip and Sarah Belz School of Jewish Music began in 1954 as the Cantorial Training Institute (CTI). Our first director was Dr. Karl Adler, who served simultaneously as director of CTI and Yeshiva College music department head. Dr. Adler was succeeded as director by Cantor Macy Nulman, noted scholar and author. From 1984-2015, Cantor Bernard Beer served as our school's third director. As of August, 2015, Cantor Beer has been appointed Director Emeritus. Cantor Eric S. Freeman is now the Belz School's Associate Director.

In 1984, as the result of a generous donation by Philip Belz of Memphis, Tennessee, CTI was renamed the Philip and Sarah Belz School of Jewish Music in honor of Philip and in memory of his wife, Sarah. As our courses encompass every aspect of Jewish music rather than just cantorial training, the new name more accurately described our school.

We are grateful to Jack Belz, son of Philip and Sarah Belz, for his continued and unwavering support of our school and its mission of educating and preparing aspiring professional cantors, ba'alei tefillah, music educators and synagogue laymen as well, to serve the Jewish community throughout the world.

Three men sitting in a row play guitars
""

Programs

The Belz School emphasizes synagogue service and community activities as a whole.

Sheet music held in a man's right arm
""

Cantorial Council of America

The CCA began as a way of providing professional and social resources to Orthodox cantors around the country.

Black and white image of a group of men singing together
""

Nusach Legacy Project Blog

The Cantor Herbert Weiser Nusach Project was established in his memory to honor his love of Hazzanut and education, and to provide a platform for all to learn this beautiful and meaningful art.

Skip past mobile menu to footer