Red Sarachek Basketball Tournament 2017
Thursday, March 2nd – Monday, March 6th, 2017
WATCH GAMES LIVE AT MACSLIVE.COM!
A highlight of the YU year, the annual Red Sarachek tournament is the country's most prestigious tournament for Jewish high school basketball teams. Each year, hundreds of student-athletes and their fans from schools across the United States and Canada gather at Yeshiva University for four days of top-level competition and community-wide celebration.
In addition to being an exciting event, the tournament is a great opportunity to visit and learn about YU. Click here to view photos of the 2016 tournament.
The tournament will consist of 20 schools. Spots will be allocated as follows:
- Yeshiva University High School (tournament host)
- The school with the best tournament record over the past 7 years
- The two top teams in the Metropolitan Yeshiva High School League (MYHSL)
- Five discretionary selections (one reserved for the MYHSL)
- Balance of teams chosen by lottery
The tournament is divided into four tiers, each with its own champion.
The three-year cycle for lottery participation will be continued as follows:
- Any qualified school that participates in the lottery each year may play no more than twice in three years
- A school that does not qualify by the rule above may still get in with a discretionary selection
- Over the past five years, this format has allowed more than 40 different schools to participate in the tournament