William D. Ford Direct Loan Program
Under the Direct Loan program, Graduate PLUS loans are borrowed directly from the federal government (U.S. Department of Education). Eligibility and approval for this loan is based on a credit check, which is performed by the U.S. Department of Education. Please feel free to contact the Direct Loan Servicing Center at 1-800-848-0979 for any questions regarding the Direct Loan Graduate PLUS.
- The 2018-2019 fixed interest rate is 7.60%.
- Graduate PLUS Loans under the Direct Loan program are subject to a 4.248% origination fee.
- Example: a $10,000 Graduate PLUS loan will net $9,575. Please keep this in mind while calculating the actual net amount needed.
To apply for a Graduate PLUS loan through the Direct Loan program, please complete the following steps:
- Click HERE to complete your Graduate PLUS Loan Application
- Sign In
- Click on the "Request a Direct PLUS Loan" link
- Scroll down and click on the "Graduate PLUS" link
- Complete the Graduate PLUS Loan Application
- Applicants must include a dollar amount on the Graduate PLUS loan application! Select the "I would like to specify a loan amount" option, and then input the amount that you would like to borrow within the "Loan Amount Requested" box. DO NOT select the "maximum Direct PLUS Loan amount" option! To help determine the amount that you may need to apply for, please refer to your financial aid award letter. Continuing students can view their financial aid account and cost of attendance budget on Banner Self-Service: www.yu.edu/myyu .
- Complete all of the required fields and submit the application
- Do Not Log Out of the studentloans.gov website! Proceed to Step 2!
STEP 2: If your Graduate PLUS Loan Application is approved by Direct Loans, then proceed with completing your Graduate PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note on the studentloans.gov website. PLEASE NOTE: If you have completed a Graduate PLUS Loan MPN with Direct Loans within the last 10 years, you may not be required to complete a new MPN. It is your responsibility to check with Direct Loans. This does not apply to any student who received a Graduate PLUS loan with an endorser. Endorsed Graduate PLUS loans require a new MPN for every new loan!
- Click on "My Account" on the left-hand side of the website
- Click on the "Complete Master Promissory Note" link
- Click on the "Graduate PLUS" link
- Complete the Master Promissory Note
STEP 3: If your Graduate PLUS Loan Application is approved, you will receive an email notification from Direct Loans containing the following subject line: "PLUS Loan Request Confirmation". You are REQUIRED to forward that email to the Office of Student Finance at Financial Aid email@example.com in order for your Graduate PLUS Loan to be officially processed.
Applicants are required to accept their annual Stafford loan BEFORE applying for a Graduate PLUS loan! If you have not accepted your Stafford loan on Yeshiva's website, do not proceed with completing the Graduate PLUS loan application! Please click HERE and accept your Stafford loan. Once you have accepted your Stafford loan, you can proceed with completing the Graduate PLUS loan application!