Associate Professor of Social Work
Dr. Krase is an expert in the reporting of suspected child maltreatment. She co-authored a book, entitled: Mandated Reporting of Child Abuse and Neglect: A Practical Guide for Social Workers.
Dr. Krase previously served as a law guardian and guardian-ad-litem representing children in New York City Family Court for the New York Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children. Dr. Krase also served as the Associate Director of Fordham University's Interdisciplinary Center for Family and Child Advocacy and the Clinical Social Work Supervisor for the Family Defense Clinic at New York University Law School. She was also an Assistant Professor in Social Work at Ramapo College of New Jersey from 2009-2012.
Dr. Krase is a member of the Social Work Education and Assessment Project team, currently serving as the Vice President for the organization.
Social Welfare Policy, with a focus on family and child policy.
Social Work Research, with a focus on racial disproportionality in child welfare practice.
Social Work Education, with a focus on assessment of educational outcomes.
2014- Present Fulbright Specialist Project: Developing a Social Protection Hub Concept for JOHUD- Jordanian Hashemite Fund for Human Development, Amman, Jordan (Completed: January-February 2019)
2010 Emerging Scholar, Association of Baccalaureate Program Directors in Social Work, Social Work Congress Participant
2009 Reverend Doctor Nicholas, J. Langenfeld Award for outstanding dissertation research, Fordham University Graduate School of Social Service.
2006 Fellow, Summer Research Institute, National Data Archive on Child Abuse and Neglect, Cornell University
2001 Archibald R. Murray Public Service Award, Magna Cum Laude, Fordham University School of Law
2001 Stein Scholar in Public Interest Law and Ethics, Fordham University School of Law
- Krase, K.S. & Delong-Hamilton, T. (In Progress). Child welfare: For social workers (working title). New York: Taylor and Francis.
- Lau, K.J., Krase, K.S. & Morse, R. (2008). Mandated reporting of child abuse and neglect: A practical guide for social workers. New York: Springer.
- Krase, K.S. (2019, In Press). Child Maltreatment Reporting by Educational Personnel: Implications for Racial Disproportionality in the Child Welfare System, Reprinted in Bent-Goodley,T.B, Williams, J.H., Teasley, M.L., and Gorin, G. (Eds.) Grand Challenges for Society: Evidence-Based Social Work Practice. Washington, D.C.: CSWE Press
- Krase, K.S. (2014). Chapter 4: Families and children, In E. Giffords & K. Garber (Eds.) The new reality of poverty: Populations at-risk in the United States. Chicago: Lyceum.
- Krase, K.S. (2013). Community mental health with children and youth. In Rosenberg, J. & Rosenberg, S. (Eds.) Community mental health: New directions in policy and practice (2d. Ed). New York: Routledge.
Peer Reviewed Journals:
- Bryan, V., Krase, K.S., McLaughlin, A., & Meyer-Adams, N. (2019). BPD Emerging Leaders Program 2010-2015: Identifying and responding to the needs of our profession. Journal of Social Work Education. DOI: 10.1080/10437797.2019.1656576
- Krase, J, & Krase, K.S. (2018). Undermining governmental legitimacy: Failed expectations of community accountability. Urbanities, 8, Supplement 1, 2018:42-48. http://www.anthrojournal-urbanities.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/11-Krase-Krase.pdf
- Corrigan, M.J., Krase, K.S., Reed, J.D. (2017). A social work response to the Affordable Care Act: Prevention and early intervention. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 2. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02791072.2017.1295333
- Delong-Hamilton, T.D., Krase, K.S. & Bundy-Fazioli, K. (2016). Exploring child welfare workers’ experiences with neglect cases: A qualitative study. Journal of Public Child Welfare, 10(1), 21-28.
- Krase, K.S. & Delong-Hamilton, T.D. (2015). Preparing Social Workers as Mandated Reporters of Suspected Child Maltreatment. Social Work Education. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02615479.2015.1094047 .
- Christenson, B, Krase, K.S., Panos, P., DeLong-Hamilton, T.A., Buchan, V., Farrel, D., Gerritsen-McKane, R., Harris-Jackson, T. & Rodenhiser, R. (2015). Evaluating social work education outcomes: The SWEAP Field Practicum Placement Assessment Instrument (FPPAI). Field Educator. 5.1(Spring 2015).
- Krase, K.S. (2015). Child Maltreatment Reporting by Educational Personnel: Implications for Racial Disproportionality in the Child Welfare System. Children and Schools. 37(2): 89-99, doi: 10.1093/es/cdc005
- Krase, K.S. and DeLong-Hamilton, T.A. (2015). Comparing reports to child protective services from States with and without universal mandated reporting. Children and Youth Services Review. http://
- Krase, K.S. (2014). Students Consider Pursuing a Joint Degree Program in Social Work and Law. Social Work Education, 33/7(2014).
- Miller, K.M., Orellana, E.R , Johnson, A.B., Krase, K.S. & Anderson-Nathe, B. (2013). Maternal criminal justice and child welfare involvement: Associations between risk exposures and childhood mental health. Social Work Research. doi: 10/1093/swr/svt036
- Krase, K.S. (2013). Differences in racially disproportionate reporting of child maltreatment across report sources. Journal of Public Child Welfare.7:4, 351-369, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15548732.2013
- Krase, K.S. (2013). Educational personnel as reporters of suspected child maltreatment. Children and Schools. 35:3, 147-154. DOI: 10.1093/cs/cdt008
- Wang, D.S., Chonody, J.M., Krase, K. (2013). Social work faculty’s knowledge of aging: Results from a national sample. Educational Gerontology, 39:6, 428-440
- Wang, D., Chonody, J., Ihara, E., Krase, K. (2012). Social work faculty interest in Aging: Impact of education, knowledge, comfort, and experience. Gerontology and Geriatrics Education.34:3, 257-171, DOI:. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02701960.718010
- Forgey, M.A., Badger, L., and Krase, K.S. (2011). The development of an evidence-based assessment process for intimate partner violence. Journal of Evidence Based Social Work, 8:323–348.
- DeLong-Hamilton, T., Krase, K., Harris-Jackson, T., Christenson, B., Danhoff, K., Farrel, D., Freedman, D.,
- Gerritsen-McKane, R., Sullivan, D., & Ng, P. (Under Review). Exploring Correlates of Implicit Curriculum for Accreditation Outcomes Evaluation: Results of Student Evaluations. Teaching in Social Work.
- Tufford, L. & Krase, K. (In Progress). Mandated reporting of child maltreatment: International perspectives of field instructors. To be submitted to: Journal of Social Work Education.
- Krase, K. (In Progress). Social workers as reporters of maltreatment and abuse across the life span. To be submitted to: Social Work.
Non-Peer Reviewed Journals:
- Krase, K.S. (2010). Exploring unsubstantiated reports by educational personnel of suspected child maltreatment in New York State using geographic information system technology: Is there a disproportionate impact on African-American children?, Dissertation Abstracts International, Proquest.
- Krase, K. (1996). Dr. Helen Rodriquez-Trias: A warrior in the struggle for reproductive rights. National Women's Health Network. Network News (January/February 1996), 2.
- Krase, K. (1996). Sterilization abuse: The policies behind the practice. National Women's Health Network. Network News (January/February 1996), 4.
- Krase, K. (2011). Defending child welfare. [Letter to the Editor]. NASW News. 56:4, April 2011.
- Krase, K. (2011). Negligence counts. [Letter to the Editor]. The Star Ledger. April 2, 2011.
- Krase, K.S. (2015). Making the tough call: Social workers as mandated reporters. Part X. Protecting vulnerable adults-The social worker’s role. The New Social Worker.http://www.socialworker.com/topics/making_the_tough_call_social_workers_as_mandated_reporters/
- Krase, K.S. (2015). Making the tough call: Social workers as mandated reporters. Part IX.What about elder abuse and intimate partner violence? Do I have to report those, too? The New Social Worker.http://www.socialworker.com/topics/making_the_tough_call_social_workers_as_mandated_reporters/
- Krase, K.S. (2015). Making the tough call: Social workers as mandated reporters. Part VIII. What if I don’t report? The New Social Worker. http://www.socialworker.com/topics/making_the_tough_call_social_workers_as_mandated_reporters/
- Krase, K.S. (2014). Making the tough call: Social workers as mandated reporters. Part VII. I made the report- Now what? The New Social Worker, Spring 2014, 24-25.
- Krase, K.S. (2014). Making the tough call: Social workers as mandated reporters. Part V. Do I have to be sure? & Part VI. What if I’m wrong? The New Social Worker, Winter 2014.
- Krase, K.S. (2013). Making the tough call: Social workers as mandated reporters. Part IV. Conflicted over confidentiality? The New Social Worker, Fall 2013, 18-19.
- Krase, K.S. (2013). Making the tough call: Social workers as mandated reporters. Part II: Whose responsibility is it? Reporting in the workplace & Part III: You made the decision: Now what do you do? The New Social Worker, Summer 2013, 16-18.
- Krase, K.S. (2013). Making the tough call: Social workers as mandated reporters. Part I: What does it mean that I’m a mandated reporter? The New Social Worker, Spring 2013, 14-15.
- Krase, K.S. (2014). History of forced sterilization and current U.S. abuses. Our Bodies, Ourselves. Available at: http://www.ourbodiesourselves.org/health-info/forced-sterilization/
- United States Department of Health and Human Services, Administration on Children and Families, National Clearinghouse on Families and Youth (2012). Q&A: Kathryn S. Krase on Mandated Reporting for Youth-Serving Organizations. The Beat, Available at: http://ncfy.acf.hhs.gov/the-beat/2011/12/mandated-reporter
Wurzweiler School of Social Work
Belfer Hall, Room 909B
2495 Amsterdam Ave
New York, NY 10033