Applying To Medical Or Dental School
For students applying in Summer 2020 and entering programs in Fall 2021 (EC21)
All students applying to professional schools in Summer 2020 should consult this page frequently for updated information. Applying in 2020 means the student will be entering medical or dental programs in Fall 2021.
- 2020 Applicants Orientation--Look for the new PP presentation after the Pre-Health Applicant's Orientation on Wednesday, November 6, 2019.
- Committee Letter Applications--Look for the new application soon.
- Writing A Letter of Intent--Special thanks to Mr. Ramon L. Villongco, Assistant Director of Admissions, New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine, for this presentation which was used during his session to pre-health students.
2019-2020 Pre-Health Peer Mentors
Pre-Health Peer Mentors are upperclassmen completing the application process who were specially chosen by the Pre-Health Advisor to assist underclassmen on a variety of issues, including course selection, MCAT and DAT prep, extracurricular activities, and other topics. They are a valuable resource, so please feel free to contact them via the emails listed below.
Ariel Sacknovitz email@example.com
Maxwell Charlat firstname.lastname@example.org
Ariel Kohenbash email@example.com
Before You Apply
The most important question to ask yourself at this point are, "Am I ready to apply? Have I created the most competitive application possible? Would I benefit from an extra year? A post bac program?" Medical and dental schools see over 5,000 applications a season. They want to read yours once. Make it count!
- What To Expect in Medical School
- 10 Things to Do to Prepare for Applying to Medical School
- Making the Most of Your Gap Year
- Is a Post-Bacc Program Right for Me? Seven Benefits to Consider
- Considering a Post-Bacc Program
- Finding a Postbaccalaureate Premedical Programs
Remember that the YU Tutoring Program is not only to help you pass courses, but to maintain the GPA (science and non-science) which is required for medical and dental programs. Find more information at http://yu.edu/academic-advising/undergraduate-men/tutorial/ or contact Sara Schwartz at firstname.lastname@example.org
The MCAT and DAT exams are one of the most important aspects of your application. Plan ahead. Organize your study schedule. Leave room for contingency plans.
- About the MCAT® Exam
- Prepare for the MCAT Exam
- Understanding the MCAT
- Understanding Your MCAT Score Report
- MCAT FAQ’s
- Summary of MCAT Total and Section Scores
- MCAT Scores and GPAs for Applicants and Matriculants to U.S. Medical Schools, 2017-2018 through 2018-2019
- MCAT and GPA Grid for Applicants and Acceptances to U.S. Medical Schools, 2017-2018 through 2018-2019
- 2018 MCAT Test Dates
Understanding The Process
Trying to organize your secondary applications? Use this helpful video created by former YU applicant Irwin Leventer. Access the video at https://www.youtube.com/embed/KDHAVNNEw8o
For Pre-Dental Applicants
Preparing For Your Interviews
- Acing Your Medical School Interview
- Interview Do's and Don'ts
- Selecting a Medical School: 35 Questions I Wish I Had Asked
Mock Interviews: After you submit your application and before you receive invitations for interviews, be sure to schedule several Mock Interviews with Career Services.
Med School Interview Questions https://yeshiva.biginterview.com/members/mock_interviews/405949
- What it’s Like to Participate in Multiple Mini Interviews (MMIs)
- Schools Conducting MMI Interviews
- Guide to the Multiple Mini Inverview (MMI) and CASPer™ Test--Special Thanks to YU alumni Aitan Magence and Sivan Shahar Potash, M.D. Candidates, New York Medical College, Class of 2022 for compiling this presentation.
Pre-Health Student Handbook For Applicants
- The Basics: An overview of what you should do now to lay the foundation for your application to medical or dental school.
- Your Pre-Health Application Profile: See how you rank in the areas that medical and dental schools consider the most important.
- Your Pre-Health Committee Letter
- Canadian Friendly Schools
- Secondary Applications
- Medical and Dental School Interviews
Updated: September 2019