Top Career Resources
CAREER 101 TIP SHEETS (Resumes, cover letters, interviewing skills and more)
INDUSTRY GUIDES (Brief guides to numerous industries, and relevant career paths)
MAJOR TIP SHEETS (Information about majors at YU)
INDUSTRY AND EMPLOYER RESEARCH
FINDING WORK IN ISRAEL AND OUTSIDE OF NYC
GRADUATE SCHOOL RESOURCES
ADDITIONAL YU CAMPUS RESOURCES
USEFUL WEBSITES (Career-related sites categorized by field)
CAREER 101 TIP SHEETS
Our tip sheets provide useful information on a variety of important career related topics.
Resumes, Cover Letters, and more
- How to Write a Resume (5 pages + 7 sample resumes)
- How to Write a Thank You Letter (2 pages)
- Tips for Writing a Personal Statement (2 pages)
- References Guide (2 pages)
Interviewing & Networking
- Interviewing Effectively Tip Sheet (5 pages)
- How to use BigInterview (1 page)
- Networking and Informational Interviews (4 pages)
- Personal Pitch (for interviews, career fairs, and networking) (1 page)
- How to Prepare for a Career Fair (2 pages)
Job/Internship Search Tips, Strategies, and Resources
- Job Search Strategies (3 pages)
- Internships: Guide to Finding Internships (4 pages)
- Social Media in the Job Search (3 pages)
- Special Tips for Orthodox Students (1 page)
- Success on the Job (1 page)
- International Student Job Search & Resources (2 pages)
- Federal Government Application Process (2 pages)
- Websites/Job Boards by Industry (2 pages)
Our Industry Overview handouts give a quick two-page recap of major industry areas and fields in which students may wish to pursue careers. Pick two or three of these to skim in order go learn more about the different career paths available in these fields, the type of work involved, and the typical salary opportunities in each
The lists below highlight companies (segmented by industry) that have previously posted jobs and internships at Yeshiva University.
Major Tip Sheets
Our Majors Tip Sheets summarize the various programs of study at Yeshiva University, and highlight the different career paths that students in these specialties might pursue after graduation.
If you are wrestling with which major to choose, you can also start by reading our Guide to Choosing a Major at YU.
Majors: Stern College for Women
Majors: Yeshiva College
Majors: Sy Syms School of Business
Industry and Employer Research
The sites listed below provide industry leading resources on companies, industries, salaries, and career paths.
BigInterview.com: Big Interview is a highly rated, self-guided “virtual” interview platform that enables you to conduct practice interviews using your computer’s web-camera. Select from hundreds of general and industry-specific interview questions, and record your responses for personal review, or to share with a career counselor. See a quick overview video here, and visit https://yeshiva.biginterview.com/ to create your account.
Vault Campus Online
Comprehensive resource library to explore industries, occupations, and organizations. Download extensive career guides on wide range of topics.
NOTE: When registering for your account, be sure to use your @mail.yu.edu address so that the system can verify your access.
LinkedIn.com - Social and professional networking site where you can find individuals in your targeted companies and industries. Use this LinkedIn Checklist to get the most out of this resources.
Candid Career - Video clips of professionals discussing their career fields.
CareerBliss - A leading online career community of company salaries, reviews, job listings, career advice, and more.
Glassdoor.com - Provides salary information and insights into companies from the people who already work there.
InsideJobs.com - Helps users figure out what careers they want to pursue; features descriptions and videos about hundreds of professions.
Use Rep’nUp to clean up your Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts and get rid of harmful content before starting your job search. Their image processing algorithms present you with problematic photos and texts from your profile, allowing you to easily prepare your online image for the eyes of an employer.
- YU CareerLink: Yeshiva University Career Center's iob and internship portal, with a searchable database of hundreds internships
- Internships: Guide to Finding Internships (4 pages)
- Internmatch.com: Review internships in the NY area
- Internships.com: Access the Career Center's subscription to Internships.com's premium website to find listings of diverse internships. Ensure you enter Yeshiva University as you create your account. Please ONLY use the internship listings portion of this site - do NOT use the resume tools. Instead, work with the Career Center on your resume
- CollegeGrad: Internships and jobs for current college students and recent college graduates. Includes an annual Top Intern Employers List
- USRP Website: Undergraduate Students Research Presentations Club featuring summer research opportunities in the sciences
- PathwaysToScience.org: Searchable database with hundreds of paid summer research internships in science, technology, math, and engineering
- Internships in the Engineering Field: Compiled by Professor Berliner, Head of the Pre-Engineering Program
Finding Work In Israel and Outside of NYC
Nefesh B’nefesh Opens New NYC Office Headquartered In YU.
As part of a recent effort to provide more guidance and support for students and young professionals interested in moving to Israel, Nefesh B’Nefesh and Yeshiva University have partnered to establish a new Aliyah (immigration to Israel) office. Ezra Kapetansky, a recent Sy Syms graduate, is the new Young Professionals Advisor, focusing on programming and pre-Aliyah guidance. Based in the Center For the Jewish Future in Furst Hall on the Wilf Campus, he is available to meet with any students or graduates who are interested in Aliyah. He will also be holding office hours at the Beren campus on a regular basis. Check out the Aliyah Young Professionals Network Facebook group, where you can find live webcasts from Israeli professionals, peer-to-peer discussions, and other things related to Aliyah.
If you’d like to speak with Ezra:
Furst Hall 422
Additional Resources for Job Search in Israel:
- Employment and the Israeli Job Market: A Guide for Students
(from Nefesh B'nefesh)
- Professions Index for Careers in Israel - Index of over 70 occupational areas in Israel, with key facts for job success; from Nefesh B'nefesh)
- Internships in Israel: List of Options
- Top 10 Tips for Finding an Internship in Israel
- UniworldOnline - Directory of Israeli and Chinese companies in the US and US companies operating In Israel and China - to log-in, please visit the quicklinks section in YU CareerLink
- Nefesh B'nefesh
- Israel Way-Oranim Project
- Birthright Israel Excel Program
- Jewish Agency for Israel
- LinkedIn Israel Job Networking Group
- GuideStar Israel: Directory of non-profit organizations
- Blog for new immigrants to Israel
- CareerJet job postings
Orthodox Communities Outside of the NYC Area: A helpful guide of job resources and contacts in communities across the US
Graduate School Resources
- Applying to Graduate School Tip Sheet
- Graduate Guide
- Master's in Education Guide
- FindtheBest (click on Education section)
- PhDs.org (includes information on Masters programs as well)
- Psychology Degrees Directory and OnlinePsychologyDegrees (includes both online and campus-based programs)
- Business School Directory (online and campus-based)
- Interfolio (credentials service)
- The Student Doctor Network
- YC Academic Advisement Center (which includes specific links for pre-health and pre-law students)
- YU Writing Centers
- Syms Academic Advising (includes contact information for both Wilf and Beren students)
- SCW Academic Advisement Center
- SCW Pre-Law Advisement
- SCW Pre-Health Advisement
- MSW Guide: Schools (School directory of MSW programs)
Additional Campus Resources
- YU Human Resources On-Campus Jobs (Portal for students interested in working on the YU Campuses)
- Writing Centers
- Center for Jewish Future (CJF)
- Counseling Center
- Disability Services
- Office of Alumni Affairs
- YC Academic Advisement Center
- Syms Academic Advising
- SCW Academic Advisement Center
- Yeshiva University Human Resources (for those interested in working on campus at YU)
- Community Relations (volunteer opportunities on both campuses)
LINKS TO USEFUL WEBSITESClick here for a list of industry-specific job boards for various fields including accounting/finance, communications, education, marketing, fashion, publishing, Jewish community jobs, science/healthcare, IT, nonprofit, and more.
Job Sites and Job Search Tools
- Yeshiva University On Campus Jobs & Internships - Instructions for how to apply for student worker & summer internship positions
- Accounting.com - Information on careers, continuing education, and job listings
- BigInterview - Website application that enables you to practice interviewing from your computer, prompting you with industry specific questions, and capturing your answers for review via your webcam
- Buzzfile.com: Majors and Employers - Useful list of employers in the NY area, sorted by the majors that they hire
- Myvisajobs.com - Site forr international students; visit the Yeshiva University page on the site to see a list of employers nearby that have filed to sponsor visa candidates
- Apparelexecutives.com - Job postings in the apparel and fashion industry
- StudentFreelance.com - Postings for freelance jobs you can do while in school
- FindSpark - Online community that facilitates networking and job search in the creative fields
- IsraeliMappedInNY - List and map of Israeli Start-ups operating in the NYC Area
- Indeed.com - Searches other job board sites and aggregates listings
- Join Startups - Website geared towards job listings with start-up companies
- LinkedIn - Professionally oriented social network that is excellent for making contacts as well as finding jobs
- NYBits - Hosts an on-line listing of NYC residential real estate property management companies
- Orthodox Union Job Board
- Quadjobs.com - Part-time and temporary jobs for college students
- Robot Friendly Resume Guide - An infographic showing "dos and don'ts" for making your resume more scanable by employers
- Simplyhired.com - Searches other job board sites and aggregates listings
- CareerArc.com - Search for job openings posted by companies via social media postings
Career Advice and Blogs
- BrazenCareerist - Highly ranked blog about career-related issues
- CollegeGrad.com - Comprehensive site for college students on the job search
- JOBipedia.org - Ask questions about job searching and get answers directly from experienced recruiters
- Dress for the Job You Want - Free e-book with tips on appropriate dress for interviews
- PathSource Mobile App - PathSource lets you learn more about every career and find out what salary you need in order to afford your ideal lifestyle. Download the app on iTunes for free. Search “PathSource” in the App Store
- Workcoachcafe.com - Blog with relevant advice about the job search process
Salary and Career Information
- NACE Salary Calculator - Extensive compensation information
- Careeronestop.org - U.S. Department of Labor-sponsored site with career information such as salaries, educational requirements, and more
- Glassdoor.com - Provides great information about company salaries, reviews and interview questions for thousands of companies
- LearnHowToBecome.org - Occupational information for nearly 50 popular careers, as well as searchable database of related educational programs