WHAT IS YU CAREERLINK?
HOW TO LOG IN
HOW TO REQUEST AN APPOINTMENT ONLINE
UPLOADING DOCUMENTS (RESUMES / COVER LETTERS / ADDITIONAL)
SEARCHING & APPLYING FOR JOBS
HOW TO RSVP FOR EVENTS
WHAT IS YU CAREERLINK?
YU CareerLink is your comprehensive career planning tool. It allows Yeshiva students and alumni to do the following:
- View and apply to job listings for full-time, part-time, and internship opportunities; all undergraduate students and alumni from YC, SSSB, and SCW can submit resumes, cover letters, and other job search documents directly to employers
- Manage on-campus recruitment activities and schedules, where eligible
- View and register for The Shevet Glaubach Center (SGC) events and workshops
- Access career resources, including Vault's Career Insider, a career research library with information and guides to industries, occupations, and many career-related topics
HOW TO LOG IN
Users can log-in by clicking here
Username: your YU email address, unless you request that it be changed to a different email address
Password: a randomly generated password was emailed to you when you first came to campus, NOT automatically one that you use for other systems at the University If you no longer have this email, please contact the SGC for a new password. (You will be able to reset your password once you are in the YU CareerLink system.)
Current Students: Please contact the SGC to access your account if your username is not working and do NOT use the Alumni Registration.
Alumni: Please click “Alumni Registration” on the right hand side of the page and enter the necessary information. Your account will then be verified and approved by our staff.
Once you are logged in, you will be prompted to complete your User Profile. Ensure that all of the information is accurate and complete, including contact information, academic information, etc. Also be sure to regularly update your profile (graduation date, major, GPA, etc.) to ensure you are eligible for positions of interest.
HOW TO REQUEST AN APPOINTMENT ONLINE WITH THE SGC (*)
*Please note this option is only available for current students.
1. Log into YU CareerLink .
• Username: YU Email Address (unless you requested it to change)
• Password: Designated your first semester on campus. If you do not know it, click “Forgot Password” and you can create a new one.
2. On your Home page, on the lower right side of the page you will see “SHORTCUTS”. The first item listed will say “Request a Counseling Appointment”. Click that link. Alternatively, from any page once logged in you can click the “Calendar” menu at the top navigation bar all the way to the right. Then click “Schedule Appointment”.
3. Select the date range you are looking for (can be one day, one week, or multiple weeks)
4. Enter the time range preferred. Note the office closes at 5:30 Monday-Thursday. Fridays we close at 2:30pm.
5. In the location drop down, select which campus you want to be seen.
6. You can search available appointments of all counselors, or a select a particular counselor. We strongly recommend scheduling your meetings with the same counselor you have seen previously. If your counselor does not have availability during the times that you need, please call the office (Wilf: (646) 592-4090; Beren: 646-592-4135) or contact your counselor directly.
7. Click “Check Availability”
8. You will then see all of the open times available. When you schedule the meeting, you MUST indicate the reason for the visit (resume, mock interview, major selection, general career counseling, etc.). NOTE if you only see 30-minute slots available, but you need a mock interview, please call the office or contact your counselor to have it extended to 60 minutes instead.
9. Once your appointment is approved you should receive an email indicating so. You should also get a reminder email 24 hours beforehand. Also, on your YUCL home page, in the middle of the page you will see if you have a pending or approved appointment.
10. You can reschedule or cancel your appointment up to 24 hours in advance. Once you log in, go to “Calendar” and then “Counseling Appointments” and you will see the options to cancel or reschedule. If you need to change an appointment and it is less than 24 hours in advance, please call the office.
(Please remember that you can always still call or stop by the office to schedule an appointment and to ask any questions!)
You can upload a number of documents, including resumes, cover letters, unofficial transcripts, letters of recommendations, and writing samples.
- Click “Documents” on the top of the page and then click “Add New.”
- Give a title for the document that is clear (We suggest including the date.), such as “John Doe Resume 2013”.
- Select the document type.
- Choose the correct file to upload and click “Submit.”
- YU CareerLink will then convert your file into a PDF format, which is what SGC staff and employers will see. Please click the PDF icon after submitting your resume to be sure that the file looks the way that it does on your computer. Sometimes formatting can change during the conversion process.
ALL resumes require approval from a counselor at the SGC. Once submitted to the system, your resume will be held for approval and reviewed within 24-48 hours (excluding weekends).
- We STRONGLY urge you to have the resume reviewed in person at the SGC before uploading in order to expedite the approval process.
- If your resume is not approved, you will receive an email outlining some of the problems which need to be addressed. Read this email carefully.
- Cover letters do not require approval, though we highly encourage you have them reviewed by our office as well.
SEARCHING & APPLYING FOR JOBS
- Notice regarding fraudulent job listings - While the SGC diligently works to ensure job listings available to students are legitimate, students should be informed on how to identify potential fraudulent employer job listings. Please see our tip sheet on identifying fraudulent employers.
- On the tabs above the homepage, click ''Jobs.'' (Notice there are ''YU CareerLink Jobs'' and ''NACELINK Network.'' YU CareerLink jobs are specifically posted for YU students, but you can search both for opportunities.)
- A basic search allows you to view the listings based on keywords and/or type of position (internship, full-time, or part-time).
- An advanced search allows you to search based on many more criteria, including industry, job function, location, major, etc.
- Once you have found a job you are interested in, click on the job title.
- Read the job description and qualifications to ensure you are eligible. Note important dates as well as instructions for how to apply. Some companies will allow you to apply directly through the YU CareerLink system, while others will prefer that you apply via email, fax, or the organization's website. SOME EMPLOYERS WILL REQUEST THAT YOU APPLY VIA THEIR OWN WEBSITE IN ADDITION TO YU CAREERLINK. Follow instructions carefully!
- Click the “Apply” button and select the requested document(s), which should already have been uploaded and approved, from the drop-down menu.
- If a cover letter is not required, but you still prefer to submit one (which we highly recommend), you can copy and paste the text of the letter into the “Notes” text box.
- Choose the requested documents and click ''Submit.'' Your application will be sent directly to the employer.
- You can create a job search agent to enable the system to email you any time a new position arises which matches your criteria. To do so, you must save your advanced search, click on job search agent, schedule the frequency with which you want to receive the emails, and click “enable.”
HOW TO RSVP FOR EVENTS
Click on the “Events” tab on the top right of the page.
- Select workshop, career fair, or info session. Most events will be in “Workshops.”
- Click on the title of the event of interest.
- Then click on “RSVP.”
If you cannot RSVP for some reason it may be because the event has been filled to capacity or you are not eligible to attend.
There are many career resources available to you through YU CareerLink, including tip sheets, industry guides, and occupational information. Click the “Resources” tab and you will see two options:
- Career Explorer: information about career fields pulling data from the US Department of Labor
- Document Library: handouts on many topics created by the SGC team
You may view as many of these handouts as you’d like. Note the SGC website (www.yu.edu/career-center) has many additional resources as well.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQS)
I don’t know my username. What do I do?
Please try using your YU email address ending with @mail.yu.edu. If that does not work, please contact the SGC
What if I forgot my password?
Please select the “Forgot Password” button on the login page and a password will be sent to your e-mail address (i.e., your username). You can also try logging in with your Facebook or Linkedin accounts.
Does YU CareerLink post on-campus jobs?
Occasionally. For a more complete listing, please see Yeshiva University’s Human Resources page at yu.edu/hr/opportunities, click on “Career Opportunities,” and search for student positions. Also, be proactive and ask the department in which you would like to work about the hiring process.
Can an employer see my resume once it has been uploaded and approved?
Only if you specifically submit a resume to a job of interest
Can employers see my profile?
Resume: Employers can not see your resume unless you specifically send it to them by attaching it to a job application.
Profile: The system enables you to create a searchable profile, which is not visible to employers unless you select "Publish" in the upper right corner of your profile page. If you select "Publish" then employers will be able to search for and view your YU CareerLink profile. You should review your profile with a SGC advisor before making it visible to employers.
My graduation date is wrong, what do I do?
Please contact the SGC so it can be changed. Also check with the registrar to inform them of any changes to your intended graduation date.
I don’t have a GPA yet. What do I do?
Please write that it is a 3.0 temporarily, and then change it once you receive grades from your first full semester on campus.
If a cover letter isn’t required, do I still need one?
We recommend writing a tailored letter to show your interest in the specific position and the employer. Please contact the SGC for assistance with cover letters. Remember, submitting a poorly written cover letter can hurt your chances of being interviewed.
My resume has been uploaded several times and still isn’t getting approved. Why?
The resume did not meet the minimum resume approval requirements of the SGC. Please carefully read the emails that were sent regarding your resume and make the necessary changes. Either make an appointment, drop by during walk-ins to clarify the issues, or try e-mailing one of the counselors who reviewed your resume and ask them to assist you with the approval process. Direct communication will help get your resume approved faster.
But a counselor told me it was good to go at my last appointment?
It’s possible that one counselor missed an error that a different counselor noticed or that you didn’t implement all of the changes that the initial counselor instructed you to do before uploading. If you are getting conflicting feedback, please contact Christopher Thunberg, Director of Counseling & Programming, at email@example.com.
How do I upload a transcript?
Please copy and paste your transcript from your “MY YU” account into an Excel document, save, and upload. Often, Mac users experience difficulties with their transcripts. It is best to do this using a PC. Always check the document after you upload it to YU CareerLink to be sure that it is legible.
Why can’t I apply for a position?
There are many reasons for this. It could be because of your class year, GPA, international student status or because you did not meet certain criteria that an employer specified for potential candidates.
Why don’t I see any jobs that I like?
Please note that YU CareerLink is updated daily and to keep checking for new opportunities. Some types of positions are seasonal, meaning they are only posted at select times of the year. It is very possible that you need to broaden your search criteria to generate more results. Remember that YU CareerLink is ONE resource for your job search and you should be utilizing other job search techniques as well. Please ensure that you are working with a counselor to address your specific job search needs.
Do I have to RSVP for events?
Sometimes. Select events may require an RSVP, which will be communicated in the event description. However, even when not required, we strongly encourage you to RSVP so we can ensure that there is enough space and food for attendees.
Why don’t I see any on-campus recruiting (OCR) jobs?
Students applying to OCR jobs must meet requirements communicated by the SGC prior to recruiting season. If you don’t see the listings, either you are not eligible, did not meet all requirements, or the setting was not turned on in your account. Please contact the SGC so we can review your eligibility and change the settings.
What is the difference between “Job Function” and “Industry” in the advanced search?
“Job Function” refers to the specific role one has on the job (tasks and responsibilities), while the “Industry” refers to the general area of economic or commercial activity. For example, one can be an accounting intern at a fashion company - the Job Function would be Accounting, while the Industry would be Fashion.
I applied for a position and did not hear back from the employer. What should I do?
If it has been 1-2 weeks since you applied, please follow up with the employer, either via email or phone, and ask where they are in the hiring process. Re-affirm your interest in the position. Only follow up once or twice maximum and do NOT harass an employer with constant calls and emails. If the job posting did not list contact information, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.