Skip to main content Skip to search

International Student and Scholar News

Trending Now

COVID-19 Information

Please visit the Center for Disease Control (CDC ) website for the most up to date guidance about testing, vaccinations and international travel.  International Travel Quick Reference

Negative Pre-Departure COVID-19 Test Result or Documentation of Recovery Required for Air Travel from China, Hong Kong and Macau

Starting 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on January 5, 2023, all air passengers 2 years of age and older traveling to the United States from China, Hong Kong, or Macau will need to get a COVID-19 viral test no more than 2 days before their flight and show their negative result, or show proof documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, to the airline before boarding.

What You Need to Know

If you plan to travel by air to the United States from China, Hong Kong, or Macau, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test no more than 2 days before your flight. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.

  • This requirement also applies if you have been in China, Hong Kong, or Macau in the past 10 days and you are traveling to the United States from one of the following airports: Incheon International Airport (ICN) in Seoul, Republic of Korea; Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ) in Canada; and Vancouver International Airport (YVR) in Canada (referred to as Designated Airports).
  • The requirement does not apply if you transited through an airport in China, Hong Kong, or Macau en route to the United States from another country, or if you spent less than 24 hours in China, Hong Kong, or Macau.

    Visit the CDC Website for complete information
    Please always check the CDC website for the most up to date COVID protocols prior to re-entry and check the COVID protocols of the country or countries that you are travelling to before departure. 

    Yeshiva University requires all students and employees to submit proof of full COVID vaccination unless granted an exemption in advance. Read Policy

Temporary Protected Status has been expanded to include people from:

If you are interested in applying for Temporary Protected Status, it is recommended that you visit the USCIS website for background information and then consult an immigration attorney. Please inform the OISS if you are in F-1 or J-1 status and intend to apply for TPS.

Special Student Relief (SSR) is different from Temporary Protected Status (TPS) and is available for students from select countries who are experiencing emergent circumstances (natural disasters, war, national financial crises). Students can check their eligibility for SSR on Study in the States. If you believe you qualify for Student Special Relief, please email for assistance. 

SSA Resumes Walk-In Services

As of April 7, 2022 the Social Security Administration (SSA) Office has resumed offering walk-in services for SSN applications, however, they still highly recommend calling in advance to schedule an appointment!  

Please refer to our SSN section of our website for full information about how to apply for an SSN.

New SEVP Policy Guidance: Use of Electronic Signatures and Transmission for the Form I-20

On November 1, 2021 SEVP announced a new policy to formally continue to permit designated school officials (DSOs) to electronically sign and transmit the Form I-20 to initial and continuing students and their dependents. Once a student receives an I-20 they should print it out and sign it at the bottom of page one. This policy only applies to I-20s, not other documents such as Form DS-2019.

SEVP coordinated with its government partners within the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Department of State and U.S. Social Security Administration* to ensure continued acceptance of electronically signed Forms I-20. If a student or school official encounters an issue with a government partner accepting an electronically signed Form I-20 or has questions about this guidance, please contact the SEVP Response Center.

*Social Security continues to insist on original documentation and signatures. F-1 students applying for a social security number should always present original documentation with a wet signature, not an electronic signature.

Skip past mobile menu to footer