Faculty & Staff
Here are tips and resources that will be useful as we work together to create greener offices, homes and communities.
Here are some ideas to take into consideration at work:
- Make sure your office is only buying Energy Star appliances and equipment in accordance with Procurement's Environmentally Preferable Procurement Policy.
- Transportation consumes about 25% of energy used in the United States. Use public transportation; it is tax free through Yeshiva's benefits program.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! Separate your trash, plastic, glass and metal, and paper and newspaper, and participate in RecycleMania.
- Report leaks, waste, dripping faucets, broken thermostats, or other equipment problems. A small 1/8'' hot water leak can waste 339,600 gallons of water annually costing $6500!
- Wilf/ Beren Campuses: Call Facilities at 212-960-5206, M - Th: 9AM to 5PM; F: 9AM to 2PM. For off-hour emergencies contact Security at 212-960-5200.
- Einstein Campus: Call Facilities at 3000. For off-hour emergencies contact Security at 4111.
- Cardozo/ Brookdale Center: Call Security at 212-790-0303.
Consider making your home and lifestyle outside of work more environmentally friendly. Some 30% of energy in buildings is used inefficiently or unnecessarily.
- New York Energy Smart offers tips for making your home more energy efficient.
- Take a room-by-room virtual tour of your house and learn how to save money on your energy bills in New York.
In the last five years, almost every region in the United States has experienced water shortages. There are many easy, sensible ways to conserve water.
- Eartheasy offers tips on conserving water at home.
Yard trimmings and food residual contribute to 23% of the municipal solid waste stream in the United States.
Why not put this material to use as nature's own low-cost, nourishing fertilizer for your personal or community plants and gardens?