MAJOR: Stern College for Women
- Thirty-three credits: HIST 1101, 1102 plus 27 additional HIST credits, of which 6 must be in American History and 3 in non-Western history. Courses that cover both the U.S. and the non-Western world may be counted either as U.S. or as non-Western history, but not as both.
- With the permission of the senior professor, up to 6 credits in Jewish history (in excess of those used to meet the Jewish studies requirement and distribution) may be counted toward the major.
- Exit requirement: either a 25-page paper, which counts as a 3-credit course toward the major (HIST 4001), or successful completion of one or another of the two capstone courses (HIST 3001, 3002), which will be offered in alternate years. Those wishing to write a senior paper should consult with a faculty advisor.
- A maximum of 6 AP History credits with a score of 4 or 5 may apply toward the major.
- Majors are encouraged to master at least one language in addition to English and Hebrew. Knowledge of the relevant language is essential for senior thesis research on many topics in the history of Europe of the non-western world and for M.A. and PhD programs in History.
MINOR: Stern College for Women
Eighteen credits: HIST 1101, 1102, plus 12 additional HIST credits, of which 3 credits must be in American History. Up to 3 credits in Jewish history (in excess of those used to meet the Jewish studies requirement) may be counted toward the minor.
Detailed history factsheet (PDF)