Lockdown and Lockout Procedures
The campuses of Yeshiva University consist of numerous buildings spread throughout the city. If a major criminal incident is occurring on or in the immediate vicinity of the university, a campus wide Lockdown or Lockout might be implemented.
Lockdown & Lockout procedures are designed to protect our students, staff and faculty from the impact a criminal incident or other dangerous condition until law enforcement can respond to the scene and contain the situation.
If you observe a major criminal incident which is occurring in the vicinity of one of our buildings, notify Security, and provide us with the following information:
• Location of incident
• Description and number of persons involved (clothing and physical features)
• Injuries that have occurred
• Description of any weapons involved
• The suspect's direction of travel and vehicle description(if applicable)
Make sure that the officer understands that the incident is in progress and in the vicinity of the campus.
Depending upon the severity of the incident, Security will advise you of specific instructions in one of the following ways:
• Text message on the YU Alert system
• Email via YU Announce
• Intercom announcements or
• Portable loud speaker announcements.
When an announcement is made to initiate a full lockdown, the Yeshiva University campus community will advise you in the following manner:
• Proceed to an area that can be secured or locked.
• All doors into the area should be locked.
• If it is not possible to lock the doors, place furniture and equipment in front of the doors in order to barricade them. Some doors open out into the corridor. In this situation, use whatever means possible to try to restrict entry to the room, including placing furniture and equipment in front of the door, or using a belt or other item to tie the door handle to something stable.
• Move to the point in the room that is most distant from a door entering the room from the outside or from a corridor/hallway. Do not huddle, but spread out.
• Close blinds and drapes for concealment.
• Turn off lights. Put cell phones on vibrate, and silence other devices.
• If communication is needed, use text messaging only.
• Remain quiet and secure until the ALL CLEAR is given by Security or the Police.
If a criminal incident or other condition does not pose a direct threat to our campus a lockout may be implemented. A lockout means that entrance doors are locked and people will not exit or enter the building, if doing so exposes them to danger.
Yeshiva University Security Officers will begin to secure the perimeter of the campus including locking exterior doors of our buildings and restricting access to our buildings and parking facilities.
Generally, academic instruction and campus business will continue indoors during a lockout but extra caution should be used until conditions return to normal.