Alcohol and Substance Abuse Crisis

An alcohol or drug overdose can be rapidly fatal. Call Yeshiva University Security to request an ambulance and/or Hatzalah if a person is:

  • Poorly responding to stimuli
  • Unconscious (no response to stimuli)
  • Having difficulty breathing
  • Out of control and a potential danger to self or others
  • If you aren’t sure about the physical well-being of the person

Emergency Numbers

  • 911 – EMS & NYPD Police Response
  • Hatzalah - (212) 230-1000
  • Wilf Campus Security - 212-960-5200
  • Beren Campus Security - 212-340-7460
  • Cardozo Law School Security - 212-790-0303

Program these important numbers into your cell phones in advance so they are readily available when needed.

Providing Assistance

Before approaching or touching the person having an alcohol or drug abuse crisis, identify yourself to the individual and explain what you intend to do. Talk calmly in a non-challenging manner and orient individual to time, place, and condition if needed.

Try to find out what the individual has consumed and how much, including whether alcohol was mixed with other drugs (prescription medication or illegal drugs) so responding emergency personnel can be informed.

Make certain someone stays with individual. If the individual wishes to lie down, have lie on/her side to avoid asphyxiation. If the person is convulsing, do not attempt to put any object in the mouth and do not restrain.

People who are under the influence of alcohol/drugs can be irrational and/or dangerous. NEVER PUT YOURSELF AT PHYSICAL RISK.