HARAV HAGAON R. AVRAHAM AHARON YUDELOWITZ ZT”L
Rabbi Yudelowitz was born in Novorodock, Minsk. He came from a long line of great scholars, and his genius became well known while he was still in his youth. At age 11, he went to learn with his uncle in Kobrin and at 17 he went to the yeshiva in Volozhin. After his marriage, he learned with great intensity in Volfe for three years. In 1870, he published his first sefer, Olim Lemivchan, in Vilna.
Rabbi Yudelowitz served as a rabbi in the cities of Salib, Kozniza, Constantine, Torov, and Kapoli. In 1896, when he published his sefer Beis Av on Orach Chaim, his reputation spread widely in the rabbinate. In 1898, he became rabbi in Manchester, England. He remained there six years until he took a pulpit at Congregation Sharei Tefilah, Boston.
He was not there long before he was appointed a rosh yeshiva at Rabbi Isaac Elchanan Theological Seminary, where he remained for a short time. He became a rabbi in Bayonne, New Jersey, where he served for three years and then returned to New York to become spiritual leader of Congregation Adath Yeshurun-Anshei Lovetz. He remained there until his death. During those years, he authored seven volumes of his sefer Teshuvot Beit Avon the four divisions of the Shulchan Aruch. In addition, he wrote a five-volume work called Drash Av, as well as other works of drush.