Travel Courses & Special Programs
Participation in summer travel courses and special programs is by application only. See below for program details and application information.
SOCI 1212H/BIB 1645 Archaeological Fieldwork at Tell es-Safi/Gath, Israel (3 credits)
Instructor: Jill Katz
This course is designed to provide students with the opportunity to gain academic and practical experience in the recovery and analysis of the material remains of an ancient culture. Students will participate in all aspects of the excavation, including: digging and surveying at the site, sampling soil, and recording of architecture. They will also participate in the various tasks that take place at the base camp, such as the washing and reading of pottery, soil matrix analysis, and faunal and floral identification. Field trips to other archaeological sites in the general area will be provided weekly.
This course takes place in Israel from June 23rd - July 19th.
- Accommodations: In Israel, students stay at the Kibbutz Kfar Menachem Regional School. All food on the dig is under Kosher supervision.
- Cost: The total cost of the program, excluding airfare and weekends, is $3,500 ($1,500 payable to YU for tuition; $2,000 payable to dig itself). This covers room & board, daily meals and local transportation. Dig Scholarships are available. Please contact Dr. Jill Katz if interested.
- Admissions: This program is open to Honors students, Honors eligible students, and non-Honors students with permission of instructor. Visiting students: Please contact Dr. Jill Katz, Program Director, prior to applying. Space is limited.
- To Apply: To be considered for this program, all students must complete this application form. Application deadline: April 30, 2019.
The Sy Syms High School Summer Scholars Program provides motivated high school students with a first-hand introduction to the world of business while earning college credit and learning Torah intensively.
This course takes place at YU's Wilf Campus from July 1 - July 22, 2019.
For complete program information, visit: https://www.yu.edu/syms/summer.
- Daily Schedule:
- 9:30 - 11:30 am - Business Halacha with Rabbi Daniel Stein in the YU Beit Medrash
- 11:30 am - 1:30 pm - Lunch break on YU's Wilf Campus with twice weekly visits with business professionals
- 1:30 pm - 4:30 pm - Introduction to Information Systems course (IDS 1020 - 3.0 Credits)
(Only students who successfully pass the IDS 1020 course will earn 3.0 credits.)
- Tuition: Tuition for the program and course (including all fees) is $2,895.
Please note: Financial aid is not available for summer programming and courses.
- Admissions: This program is open to motivated yeshiva high school boys who are completing their junior or senior year of high school, and live within commuting distance to Yeshiva University's Wilf Campus, located at 500 West 185th Street, New York, NY 10033.
- To Apply: To be considered for this program, all students must complete this application form. Application deadline: March 1, 2019.
Note: This program and course will only be offered if there is sufficient enrollment.