Frequently Asked Undergraduate Admissions Questions

1. What is an Associate of Science degree?

A student can go to college after graduating from high school (or obtaining an equivalent certification). There are two main types of college degrees: Associate degrees and Bachelor’s degrees. The Associate degree generally takes two years to complete, and the Bachelor’s takes four. Some students who complete an Associate degree choose to continue in their education by transferring their credits to a Bachelor’s program; with these transferred credits, they are usually able to complete the Bachelor’s degree in just two additional years, and would graduate at the same time as their peers who started in a Bachelor’s program. After completing a Bachelor’s degree, students may choose to go to graduate school, which offers higher and more specialized degrees.

The phrase “of Science” means that the program of study for the degree has more emphasis on the subject matter of the degree and less emphasis on a broader education in other topics, when compared to a degree that is “of Arts.” The phrases “of Science” and “of Arts” can be appended to an Associate degree, a Bachelor’s degree, or a Master’s degree.

At Yeshiva University, business degrees are usually “of Science,” since they place greater emphasis on the study of business than the study of more general subjects; Stern College for Women and Yeshiva College for Men offer Bachelor of Arts degrees, which are four-year degrees that emphasize not only the student’s chosen major but also the broader general education requirements of a liberal arts college.

2. What school is this degree from? Will I be enrolled in Stern College, Sy Syms, or Yeshiva College?

You will be enrolled in the Katz School, which is a part of Yeshiva University. You will not be enrolled at Stern College for Women, Sy Syms School of Business, or Yeshiva College for Men. (Keep in mind that Yeshiva University is the “umbrella” school, and Yeshiva College is the school for undergraduate men’s liberal arts and science; Yeshiva College is a part of Yeshiva University.) After successfully graduating with an AS in Management from the Katz School, you may choose to transfer to a Bachelor’s program or go straight into the workforce. If you graduate from Katz with a GPA of 3.0 or higher, you can seamlessly transfer to the Sy Syms School of Business to complete a Bachelor’s degree in Business & Management.

3. What is the Katz School?

The Katz School is the newest school under the Yeshiva University umbrella. Its full name is the Mordecai D. and Monique C. Katz School. In addition to offering the AS in Management, Katz also administers the Master of Science degrees in Speech-Language Pathology, Marketing, and Quantitative Economics. Other programs that the Katz School administers include the summer session for all undergraduates (including Katz’s undergrad students as well as the students in Stern, Syms, and Yeshiva College) and CollegeNOW. You can learn more about the Katz School and its administration here.

4. Where will my classes be, and where will I live and eat?

Women in the AS in Management program will take classes at the Beren Campus in midtown Manhattan. You will live in one of the four dormitory buildings on the Beren Campus, with other undergraduate women in Stern and Syms. There are two on-campus cafeterias, two café stores, and several local restaurants that will accept funds from your meal plan; all of these eateries are kosher.

Men in the AS in Management program will take classes at the Wilf Campus in Washington Heights. You will live in one of the three dormitory buildings on the Wilf Campus, with other undergraduate men in Syms and Yeshiva College. There are two on-campus cafeterias, a café store, meal vending machines, and several local restaurants that will accept funds from your meal plan; all of these eateries are kosher.

5. Do I need to live in the dorms, or can I live off-campus?

All students in the Associate degree are required to live in the dorms for each fall and spring semester that they are in the AS program. AS students are required to take courses during the summer but are not required to live in on-campus housing during the summer.

6. Will I have access to the same services as YU undergrads in Bachelor’s programs?

Yes, as well as services specifically for AS students. In addition to great services like Housing, Student Life, Athletics, kosher Dining Services, Career Center, Disability Services, Counseling Center, Health Center, Academic Computing, and more, you will also have an Academic Adviser who works only with AS students, assisting you on your path to academic success. You can participate in any part of undergraduate religious life as well, including your built-in Torah studies and Jewish studies, Shabbat programming, tefillah (prayer services), and holiday programs and celebrations.

7. What are the Jewish studies and Torah studies opportunities and requirements in the AS in Management program?

Like all YU undergraduate programs, the AS in Management exemplifies the Torah Umadda (study of both Torah and secular subjects) outlook of Yeshiva University, and AS students are required to participate in a dual curriculum that includes courses in management and secular subjects as well as a robust Torah and Jewish studies learning program.
Men in the AS degree join their peers in Syms and Yeshiva College in the Undergraduate Torah Studies morning program. They have the option of doing their Torah studies at the Isaac Breuer College of Hebraic Studies or the James Striar School of General Jewish Studies. After their first semester, AS students may request permission to learn in the Irving I. Stone Beit Midrash Program, if they wish to transfer.

Women in the AS degree join their peers in Stern College and Syms in the Rebecca Ivry Department of Jewish Studies. They are required to take 3 Jewish Studies courses per semester. Courses are offered at a variety of levels, including the Mechina Pathways program for students with little to no prior exposure to Jewish learning and a variety of beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels.

AS students are required to take 2 semesters of Hebrew language and 1 Jewish Engagements course.