Skip to main content

Banner Knowledge Center

School Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some frequently asked questions. Use the links below to browse by functional area: 

Please contact us if you need additional information.


Banner General


Q: How do I obtain more information about the Banner Human Resources, Banner Payroll, and Banner Finance implementation?

A: There are several in person and online training opportunities and documentation resources available on this site. If you are unable to locate what you are looking for, visit the Contact Us section of the website for further support.

Q: Do I have the right hardware and software for Banner?

A: Nearly all portal and Banner functionality will be available using a web browser. But to maximize response time and productivity, administrators, budget managers and principal investigators should check now to make sure that they have the recommended hardware and software installed on their desktops and laptops. Please review the Banner Hardware and Software Requirements for Administrative Users document.

Q: How do I log in to Banner Self Service?

A: To access Banner Self Service and other programs, log in to the InsideTRACK portal at using your YU Active Directory credentials. To learn more about InsideTRACK, refer to the Getting Started with InsideTRACK instructional Simulation

Back to Top


Banner Finance 


Q: What are FOAPAL and Index?

A: The foundation of any finance system is its Chart of Accounts. The Chart of Accounts provides a means for collecting, classifying and reporting on financial transactions. Banner Finance will introduce you to an acronym known as “FOAPAL,” which stands for Fund, Organization, Account, Program, Activity and Location. Banner also utilizes an Index code, which expedites data entry and inquiry by combining the related fund, organization, program, activity and location. You will only need to use Index and Account for most transactions. For more information about the FOAPAL and the new Chart of Accounts, please view the presentation titled "Banner Chart of Accounts Training" located on the Banner project website:

Q: Will there be a similar crosswalk from current G/L Accounts to Banner Index?

A: No, for these transactions the Montefiore fund number has been structured in to the Banner Index. There will be a crosswalk from Montefiore fund number to a Banner Index. Previously, on HR transactions, G/Ls beginning with 9038 and 9039 were used and Monte fund numbers were noted in a reference field. Similarly, Purchase Order chargeable to Montefiore used the G/L code 96400052 with a separate field for the Montefiore fund numbers. There will be no need in Banner to disclose the Montefiore fund numbers since they are already incorporated into the Index.

Back to Top


Banner Grants


Q: What is the difference between a Grant and a Fund in Banner? 

A: Most Grant numbers will equal the Fund number. Program Projects will have one Grant number and multiple Fund numbers.

Q: What is the difference between Sponsored and Non-Sponsored funds? 

A: Sponsored Programs are funded by an external entity. Examples are Federal grants (NIH, DHHS, DOD), American Cancer Society, Leukemia Foundation, etc.

Q: Does Research Finance manage both Sponsored and Non-Sponsored funds? 

A: Research Finance manages Sponsored Funds and those Non-Sponsored Funds which relate to Sponsored regulations or processes. Shared Facilities, Cost Sharing and Incentive Funds are also managed by Research Finance.

Q: Will we receive a new fund number for every year of the Sponsored Project?

A: Most Fund numbers will be assigned for the project period. Those sponsors requesting financial reports each budget year will receive a new Grant and Fund number each budget year of the project period. Examples are some Program Projects, T32, U (cooperative agreements)

Q: How do we handle a PI who has grants in 2 different departments?

A: Each grant is a fund. Program Projects are multiple funds. Each fund can be attached to a different department. So, if you want a certain set of funds to be managed in a different department that can be done.

Q: How will I be notified when a FOAP has been established? 

A: PIs and Administrators will receive and email from Nuzhat Saleem detailing the Sponsor, Project Start Date, Project End Date and the FOAP. OBIEE will also provide a report with newly established FOAPs.

Q: How do I find out about upcoming training sessions? 

A: Visit the Training Section of the Banner Knowledge Center. Broadcast emails will also be sent out with the subject ***EINSTEIN BROADCAST*** IMPORTANT: Banner Project Training Announcement or feel free to contact Suzanne Locke, or 718-430-2688

Q: What is budget checking? 

A: Budget controls are in place for grants and controlled in four different categories; Salaries (including fringe), Capital, Other Direct (OTPS) and Indirect (F&A). For more information, please take the Grants Functional Overview and/or attend the Training Sessions being offered.

Q: Can I set up a FOAP in advance? 

A: Yes as long as certain criteria is met. Please contact Nuzhat Saleem for further information on our Advance account policy and procedure. Nuzhat Saleem – Finance Manager • eMail: • Phone: 718-430-3712 / Fax: 718-430-8675 In addition, Research Finance cannot back date in Banner. If an advance FOAP is required, we must know the appropriate start date before we establish in Banner, otherwise the standard procedure will be to input the start date as the true project start date as indicated on the NOA or agreement.

Q: If the sponsoring agency reduced the proposed budget, what category will be reduced? 

A: If the sponsoring agency has reduced the proposed budget, the reduction will be removed from the OTPS pool. Salaries (including fringe) and capital will match the proposal. If this does not meet the needs of the PI, the Administrator can re-budget through a tool which is currently under development.

Q: How do I rebudget my grant funds? 

A: Under Einstein’s expanded authority, budgetted funds can be shifted, so long that the scope of the project does not change. Einstein requires approval if equipment funds are to be rebudgetted. For more information, please take the Establishing Project Accounts sessions being offered.

Q: When I look at my Department’s list of FOAP’s, I’m seeing expired continuation grants being mapped to the same fund as the current year. How come? 

A: The “expired continuation grants” mentioned above, are not really expired grants, but individual years of the same grant. We have described that there will not be new continuation numbers in Banner, that for regular grants you will have 1 fund for the life of the grant. We probably didn’t highlight that this is retrospective as well. So, expenditures for the life of the grant are being converted and mapped to the 1 fund. Every year before the current year will be converted as 1 number and will appear in a prior year field. The current year will be converted with account detail. While you may never have referenced those other accounts, finance actively uses them in reconciling the federal cash draw, and in inception to date reporting.

 Back to Top


Banner HR/ Payroll


Q: Will I receive a hard copy W-2?

A:This year you will receive a hard copy W-2. Next year it is our intent to provide the option of either printing your 2013 W-2 from the web or hard copy.

 Q: How do I access my pay advice (paystub) and other self-service items?

A:.Your pay advice and other self-service items are available by accessing InsideTrack at If you are unfamiliar with the portal, please refer to the Getting Started with InsideTRACK instructional Simulation.  

Click here for a short tutorial on How to View Your Pay Stub and Find Your Banner ID.

Q: Will YESS still exist? 

A: The YESS system will only exist for reference to older transactions. For new transactions, the Banner HR and Payroll system functionality will replace YESS and provide for real-time and truly integrated updates once electronic workflow forms are applied. Self-service Banner forms are called Electronic Personnel Action Forms (EPAFs). For requisitioning, the iCIMS systems will be used. Labor Redistributions will be done via forms. Please see the Training Section of the Banner Knowledge Center to learn more.

Q: What information should I have available when originating an EPAF? 

A: You should know: 

  • the employee’s Banner ID number; 
  • which Approval Category to use;
  • the position number (six-character code) on which action is being taken; 
  • the date the action or change (hire, promotion, leave, etc.) will occur; 
  • if it's a change, the elements of the employee's record that are changing (ex, salary, E-class); 
  • and who will approve this request in the department and the University.

Q: What if I don’t have an employee’s Banner ID? How do I start the EPAF? 

A:  You can use an employee’s legacy clock number in the ID field. Their new nine-digit Banner ID will then be displayed in the field. For a new hire, contact the appropriate Central Office for the employee’s Banner ID. The Central Office must first set up the person in Banner, or you will not be able to hire them. For new Einstein Faculty and Research Fellows, contact Academic Appointments. For new staff hires, work with HR Recruitment Services. For Faculty on the Manhattan campuses, contact Michael San in the Office of the Provost. 

Q: What is the Query Date on the EPAF and what do I enter in this field? 

A: Getting your Query Date right is one the keys to EPAF success! In general, the Query Date is the date the action or change needs to occur on the employee’s personnel record. Please note that effective dates must occur after the employee's Last Paid Date, so refer to the payroll calendar when entering a Query Date. If your effective date in the body of the EPAF does not match your Query Date, you may encounter an error and have to start over. Examples: 

  • New Hire: If this EPAF initiates the hiring of a new employee, use the first day of work as the Query Date. 
  • Salary Increase / Title Change: Use the effective date of the change as the Query Date. 
  • Labor Distribution Change: Use the effective date of the change as the Query Date. If the Labor Distribution should have changed in a previous pay period, use the first day of the current pay period as the Query Date. Note that you will have to do a Labor Redistribution for the previous pay period(s). 
  • Employment Termination: If the EPAF is generated to terminate employment, use the last day that the employee should receive pay as the Query Date. A job can be terminated on an employee’s last paid date. 
  • End Job Assignment: Use the last day the employee worked in the job as the Query Date. 
  • Promotion/Transfer: Use the first day the employee worked in the new job as the Query Date. 
  • One Time Payment/Recurring: Use the first day of the payperiod for which you want to pay this employee as the Query Date.

Q: What do the different date fields in the EPAF mean? 

A: The different date fields are as follows:

  • Job Begin Date: The date the employee begins or began in this job. If updating an existing record, use Current Value in the New Value field. 
  • Jobs Effective Date: The date the change in the EPAF will take effect. The effective date cannot be before the Last Paid Date (indicated at the top of the EPAF). For a new hire, enter the employee’s start date. 
  • Personnel Date: The actual date the job change occurred. This may be different from the effective date if an EPAF is not completed within the pay period of the job change.

Q: Are there any online tutorials or tools that I can use remotely to learn how to create requisitions in iCIMS?

A:The online simulation training published for iCIMS Requisitions can be found at the following site:

Q: How do I login to iCIMS through the InsideTrack portal?

A:After intial login to InsideTrack, on the Manage Employee Tab you will find the iCIMS link under the HR Tools & Systems section. Click that link and you will be prompted to enter your email address as your iCIMS username for an initial verification.

Q: What to I do if I receive an error message trying to login to iCIMS through InsideTrack?

A:If you receive this message “SingleSignOn Integration (remote side): Login failed. Login information was not correct, or there exists no user who matches given data.” Please email to reset.

Q: I cannot access iCIMS through the portal, how else can I login?

A:Through any web browser, go to

Q: How do I find out my iCIMS user name & password? 

A: Your username will be your Yeshiva or Einstein email address and click the “forgot your login or password” and you will receive an email with this information. For any other login concerns email

Q: What if my job is not in the iCIMS library, what do I do? 

A: Type in another job most comparable to the job that you are requesting. In the Title* section, update the title to reflect the accurate data and update all other fields.

Q: How do I know which recruiter to select in iCIMS? 

A: For staff positions select Tracey Wilmot; for post-doc positions select MaryAnne Clifford, for faculty positions at Einstein select Tara Panebianco, for faculty positions at Manhattan select Diane Pearl.

Q: How do I start the approval process in iCIMS? 

A: After completing the requisition choose “Approvals” off the top menu and begin by selecting from the Global List. Select the routing for your area; From the Search Approvers field, select and add the most senior approver in your department. Use the grip icon to the left of name to drag the approver into the first position; Click the Begin Approvals button at the top of the Approval List section to complete.

Q: How do I know the status of my requisition in iCIMS? 

A: Select the link under My Open Jobs in the Jobs panel at the right side of the Dashboard; to view Pending Requisitions and the approval status, select under Pending Jobs in the Jobs panel on the right side of the Dashboard; Click the Approval tab to see the current approver and status.

Back to Top


Banner Procurement


Q: What is MaccaBuy? 

A: MaccaBuy is the Yeshiva name for the SciQuest Full Suite application. MaccaBuy provides the functionalities of the SciQuest shopping portal with dynamic work flow and replaces the current Jacada requisitioning system. 

Q: What are different roles that exist in MaccaBuy? 

A: There are several roles that exist in MaccaBuy, including:


  • Shopper – These users can shop for items and assign their shopping cart to Requesters to process, but cannot themselves submit a cart for approvals. This is not changing after go-live, with exception of some added shopping features. This is the most common role in the procurement process, with many shoppers in each School/Department. If you currently shop on SciQuest and assign your cart to someone else for processing and currently have no access to Jacada for procurement then you are a shopper and should attend Shopper training. 
  • Requester (Requisitioner) – These users can shop for items, change/add GL number(s) on carts assigned to them, and submit carts to approval workflows. This is currently done in Jacada, but will be performed in SciQuest (MaccaBuy) after go-live. Typically, there are several requesters in each School/Department depending on the size of the department. If you currently access Jacada and create requisitions - you should attend “Requester” training. 
  • Approver – These users can review (approve and reject) purchase requisitions that are assigned to them by the system based on their function (typically, it is the Departmental Administrators and Manager). There is usually one or two per School/Department and most often this role is performed by the Administrator, Director, or Manager (similar to the “Budget Manager” role in Banner Finance).This is currently done in Jacada, but will be performed in SciQuest (MaccaBuy) after go-live. If you go into Jacada and approve requisitions/create POs - you should attend “Approver” training. Approver/Requester – This is a combination or the Requester and the Approver roles. Caution should be exercised when giving some-one the 
  • Approver/Requester authorization, as he/she will be able to request (requisition) and approve their own orders up to $5,000, as well as approve orders under $5,000 of other Requesters within the Department, Division, or School. It is recommended by our auditors and good procurement practices that a request for goods and services has two levels of approval, a requestor and an approver. However in certain cases we understand that this is not entirely possible. If this is the case in your department you can request that certain individuals be given the Approver/ Requestor role. 

Q: How do I request or change a MaccaBuy role? 

A: Please send an email request to Be sure to include the person’s name, their Banner ID (if known), Department, and their new MaccaBuy role. 

Q: How will I access MaccaBuy after go-live? 

A: Logging in will depend on role:


  • Shoppers will log into MaccaBuy “locally”- by entering their current SciQuest user ID and password by following the MaccaBuy link. 
  • Requesters and Approvers will log into MaccaBuy through the Luminis Single Sign-On portal. 

Q: Can I continue using Jacada for purchasing? 

A: As of December 14, 2012 we started the transition from Jacada to MaccaBuy (SciQuest Full Suite) as our Procurement System discontinuing the use of Jacada for requisitioning. On January 2, 2013, the shopping, requisitioning and payment process will initiate centrally from Maccabuy. 

Q: What are my new GL numbers (FOAPALs)? 

A: Please contact the appropriate Finance office for specifics about new GLs (FOAPALs) and budgets. 

Q: Where do I find educational material or information about training on MaccaBuy? 

A: Please follow this link: 

Q: Why can’t I access JPMorgan’s PaymentNet (P-Card transaction and approval management system)? 

A: PaymentNet is currently “under construction”, as we update the system to reflect the new financial structure – please bear with us. 

Q: When can I access PaymentNet again? 

A: We hope to have the system available on January 2nd to reconcile/approver transactions. 

Q: What will happen to my active POs currently in Jacada? 

A: Only Blanket (Open) PO’s created on or before December 14th will be converted into Banner. Regular type PO’s will not be converted. To assist departments in this transition, current valid Blanket (open) type PO’s will be converted into the new system. The PO balances will be brought over and invoices will be processed against them in the new system. 

Q: When can I resume ordering items/services? 

A: January 2nd, 2013 

During the blackout period…

Q: How do I submit a request for ethyl alcohol used for scientific research? 

A:  Scientific Alcohol will be available during the blackout period - current processes will remain the same until December 31st. 

Q: How do I submit a request for Freezer Program items (Resnick campus)? 

A: The Freezer Program will remain open during the blackout period - current processes will remain the same until December 31st. 

Q: How do I make an emergency purchase? 

A: Knowing that you will have certain requirements during the blackout period Procurement Services has made arrangements for the handling of any true emergency purchases that may arise. Prior to the blackout period you were encouraged to establish blanket or open orders with our most commonly used vendors for telephone call in by your department as needed. These blanket orders will carry over to the new system so that invoices can be paid. For those items that are less routine, you can send a simple e-mail to Outline the item you need and the account you want it charged to. This will allow Procurement to place the order for you. It will also make certain you get the items at our contract pricing and can be charged to the appropriate ledger in the new system. P-cards will be active and available to use during the transition period in accordance with current policy. 

Q: How do I get a reimbursement or an invoice paid? 

A: Deadline for processing payments is December 21st

Back to Top