Reishit Yerushalayim—S. Daniel Abraham Israel Program
Reishit is an extraordinary Yeshiva with a unique approach to teaching, designed to offer qualified young men an incomparable experience of Torat Eretz Yisrael. We aim to cultivate within each student a genuine and lasting connection to God through serious Torah study, passionate Avodat Hashem, and personal character development.
We are committed to instilling in our students a love of Torah, the Jewish people and Israel. This is accomplished in a friendly, open environment; each person is respected and appreciated for his own singular personality, and is nurtured and educated accordingly.
Attitude towards Israel and Medinat Yisrael
Very positive, we celebrate all holidays and educate through hands-on tiyulim and stimulating lectures
Attitude towards University Studies
We encourage our talmididm to pursue university studies which are important for their intellectual and personal development.
Attitude towards Extracurricular Activities
We strongly urge our students to participate in chessed programs and tiyulim which are an integral part of our program. Students are constantly being invited to the homes of their rabbeim for Shabbatot, Yamim Tovim, barbeques and dinners.
Preparation for Post Israel
We provide strong and personal guidance to all students before the end of their stay at Reishit.
The "Successful" Student
A talmid who reaches his spiritual potential and is constantly striving to make a kiddush HaShem in all he does.
There is a dress code meant to foster a serious, wholesome learning environment.
Staff is always available and eager to provide guidance to our talmidim and they consult with a number of top professionals in the field.
The hanhala live a short walk from Yeshiva and are there 7 days a week. Many students find that the most remarkable and memorable experience of their year in Israel is the forging of open, special relationships with their rabbeim. At Reishit, this is not merely a byproduct of our educational system, but rather its centerpiece, our focus. Reishit also staffs a team of budding scholars who are available to learn individually with any interested student during night seder. And of course, our Av Bayit and dorm counselors live in the dorms with the students, and are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Reishit offes a broad curriculum including in-depth gemara, gemara bekiyut, in-depth tanach study, tanach bekiyut , halacha, machashava, chassidut, mussar and iyun tefillah.
- Masechet Baba Kamma B’Iyun (Morning Shiur)
- Masechet Brachot BiKiyut (Afternoon Seder)
- Masechet Taanit BiKiyut (Afternoon Seder)
- B’Iyun Shiur / Sugyot (Rav Mendel Blachman)
- Masechet Tamid (Night Seder / Rav Simcha Hochbaum)
- Bekiyut Incentive Program (Rav Elie Marcus)
- Gemara Methodology (Rav Moshe Benovitz)
- Sugyot / “Lomdus” Chabura (Rav Shalom Rosner)
- Daf Yomi Review (Rav Doni Marcus)
- Shas Survey (Rav Ari Marcus)
Tanach & Commentaries
- Survey of Nevi'im Rishonim (Rav Simcha Hochbaum)
- Table Talk/ Parshat Hashavua (Rav Yehoshua Landau)
- Weekly Review of Rashi’s Commentary (Rav Avi Perlowitz)
- Insights on Sefer Tehillim (Rav Moshe Benovitz)
- Parshat Hashavua (Rav Doni Marcus)
- Shivat Tzion / Sefer Ezra & Nechmiah (Rav Simcha Hochbaum)
- Parsha Points to Ponder (Rav Dov Lipman)
- Five Megillot in Depth (Rav David Zeit)
Halacha / Jewish Law
- Sefardic Halacha (Rav David Zeit)
- Daily Halacha Shiur- Orach Chaim (Rav Ari Marcus)
- Halacha and The State of Israel (Rav Jay Marcus)
- Practical Halacha (Rav Danny Myers)
- Hilchot Shabbat (Rav Shalom Rosner)
- Kitzur Shulchan Aruch (Rav Mendel Schulman)
- Topics in Contemporary Halacha (Rav Daniel Myers)
- Mishnah Berurah Shiur (Rav Yosef Bronfeld)
Torat Eretz Yisrael
- Zionism, Politics & Halacha: Daily Update (Rav Jay Marcus)
- Halacha & The Jewish State (Rav Moshe Yeshurun / Rav Jay Marcus)
- Weekly Course on Zionism & Israeli History (Prof. Ze'ev Ben-Shachar, The David Project & Yavneh Olami)
- Mitzvot of the Land of Israel (Rav Daniel Myers)
- Writings of Rav Kook & His Students (Rav Judah Mischel)
- Shivat Tzion (Rav Simcha Hochbaum)
- Ulpan (Bi-Weekly) (Yossi Bienenstock)
- Jewish History from 1948 (BCE) to 1948 (Rav Elie Marcus)
- Sefer Ayelet Hashachar (Rav Judah Mischel)
- "Kum Hit’halech B’Aretz": Tiyulim & Special Programs
Jewish Philosophy & Chassidus
- Weekly Va'adim in Machshevet Yisrael (Rav Doni Marcus)
- Shiur Klali on Topics in Jewish Philosophy (Rav Mendel Blachman)
- Jewish Philosophy Survey (Rav Dov Lipman / Rav Avi Fertig)
- Sefer Tanya (Rav Ari Marcus)
- Nefesh HaChayim (Rav Mendel Blachman)
- Thought of Rebbe Nachman of Breslov (R. Yosef Karduner)
- Sefer Netivot Shalom (Rav Simcha Hochbaum)
- Selected Writings of Rav Joseph B. Soloveitchik (Rav Moshe Yeshurun)
- Leket Amarim of Rav Yakov Meir Shechter (Rav Elie Marcus)
- Chovat HaTalmidim - Piasetzna (Rav Judah Mischel)
- Fundamentals of Faith (Rav Mendel Schulman)
- Chasidic Masters on the Weekly Parsha (Rav Elie Marcus)
Jewish Ethics / Mussar
- Weekly Sicha (Rav Elie Marcus)
- Guided Study in Messilat Yesharim (Rav Moshe Benovitz)
- Messilat Yesharim Chabura (Rav Elie Marcus)
- Sefer Alei Shur (Rav Avi Fertig)
- Pirkei Avot (Rav Doni Marcus, Rav Avi Perlowitz)
- Rabbeinu Yonah on Avot (Rav Bronfeld)
- Sefer Orchot Tzadikim (Rav Judah Mischel)
- Development of Mussar Movement (Rav Avi Fertig)
- Weekly Chabura- Assorted Topics (R. Dan Wurtzberger)
- Sefer Hishtapchut HaNefesh- Breslov (R. Yosef Karduner)
- Biyurei Tefilla (Rav Simcha Hochbaum)
- Siddur Insights (Rav Judah Mischel)
- Halachot of Davening (Rav Daniel Myers)
- The Siddur (Rav Ari Marcus)
Note: not all classes are offerred every year
7:45 AM SHACHARIT
9:30-12:30 MORNING SHIUR/ CHAVRUTA STUDY
12:30 LUNCH AND BREAK
3:30-5:30 B’KIYUT SHIURIM
5:30-6:30 SELF STUDY AND OPTIONAL SHIURIM
7:30-8:30 NIGHT SHIURIM
8:30-9:45 SELF STUDY and TUTORS
Language of Instruction
Ulpan or Hebrew Class
Two levels of Ulpan are offerred to the students – Beginner and Intermediate. Each is given twice a week.
Assessment and Grading
Class participation and oral interviews – some shiurim feature short written exams
There are three shana bet tracks, one focused on advanced in-depth gemara skill building, one focused on inyanim of the gemara and one offering a broader curriulum of tanach, gemara and machshava shiurim.
We have official joint programs with YU and Touro College.
Rav Mendel Blachman
Rav Yosef Bronfeld
Rav Avi Fertig
Rav Ezra Hershberg
Rav Simcha Hochbaum
Rav Yehoshua Landau
Rav Dov Lipman – Co-Director NCSY Program
Rav Ari Marcus
Rav Elie Marcus - Mashgiach
Rav Doni Marcus – Director of Student Life
Rav Judah Mischel
Rav Daniel Myers
Rav Avi Perlowitz
Rav Shalom Rosner – Director of Advanced program
Rav Mendel Schulman
Rav Chayim Soloveichik
Rav Yerachmiel Stewart
Rav Raphael Willig
Rav David Zeit – Director Sephardic Program
Daily interaction with Israeli society; various personalities who give guest lectures; tiyulim and shabbatons.
Special Informal programs
Kumsiztes; chesded programs and carnivals; shabbatons; tiyulim and Yimei Iyun.
Full sized indoor gym, state of the art workout room, hockey/tennis court, grassy field
Programming for Shabbat and Yom Tov
One out of every three Shabbatot is an ‘in’ Shabbat with special speakers, lectures and onegs; shabbatons are sprinkeled thorughout the year in various locations, rabbeim homes are always open. The yeshiva is always open, meals, shabbat and yom tov minyanim are always available.
Educational field trips once a month – some multi-day tiyulim for the whole yeshiva and some are day trips for select shiruim
Reishit provides shiurim for students with varied backgrounds. We have an NCSY Mechina Program geared for students with limited background; a Sephardie Program geared to teach Sephardic minhagim and learning styles as well as our Traditional Program with varied levels of shiurim in Gemara, Tanach, Iyun, Tefillah, Halacha and Jewish Philosophy as well as our Advanced Program.
Hebrew Knowledge Required
NCSY program requires a beginner level of Hebrew. Most other shiurim require intermediate level. The Advanced Program requires an advanced level of Hebrew.
Religious Observance Required
All students must be fully shomrei torah and mitzvot. We are specifically looking for students with a strong desire to develop spiritually and who are committed to participating in all shiurim and programs. NCSY Mechina program members come primarily from public schools but have demonstrated special interest in torah and mitzvot previously. Sephardic program participants must have a background in Sephardic tefillah and basic halacha. Advanced program talmidim must have previously demonstrated outstanding accomplishments in their gemara studies in high school.
We have students from across the United States and Canada. Aside from our NCSY program participants almost all are yeshiva high school graduates.
Overall Number of Students (Kollel, Israeli, Foreign)
No information provided
Foreign Student Percentage
No information provided
Number of 1st Year American Students
Approximately 100 first year students
Number of 2nd Year American Students
30-50 second year
No information provided
Number of Students per Class
12-14 students per class
Fully air conditioned dormitory suites with private bathrooms and refrigerators. There are 4 students to a room.
Availability of Private Kitchen Facilities
Microwaves available in student lounge
Facility use during Shabbat and Yom Tov
We are always open, meals and second day yom tov meals and tefillah are always available
Security is of prime importance to us. Full time security companies monitor premises and we have an armed shomer. Our facility is completely fenced in. If the situation warrants it, we are in telephone contact with talmidim. On tiyulim we always travel with an armed shomer and medic.