The process of applying to a graduate school often entails asking a lot of questions to ensure that you pick the school that's right for you. We realize this and have provided some frequently asked questions below for our master's and doctoral programs. Since these are by no means exhaustive, please feel free to email us with any additional questions you may have. Or call us at 833-241-GRAD (4723).

How much is the tuition?
The tuition is currently $1,050.00 a credit and the MSW degree requires 60 credits.

When is your application deadline? How early should I apply?
Wurzweiler School of Social Work has "rolling admissions." Applicants are currently submitting applications and receiving decisions for Summer  2017 and Fall 2017 programs.

Please note that to be considered for the MSW/PhD program, students must apply also for the PhD program after completing the first semester of the MSW program.

Do you have any scholarships or financial aid?
Merit scholarships are awarded on the basis of outstanding academic achievement, in conjunction with the entirety of the application process. We encourage all applicants to research external scholarship opportunities.

Early applicants are most likely to receive scholarship money. Booklets with information about additional sources for outside scholarship money are sent to all potential students after applications are received.

What grade point average do you require?
Acceptance into the MSW program is based on the entire application process.  All aspects of a candidate are reviewed: a GPA of 3.0 is highly recommended

What are the other requirements for admission?
Click here to review the requirements for admissions.

Who should take the TOEFL Test?
Nonnative English speakers at the 11th-grade level or above should take the TOEFL test to provide evidence of their English proficiency before beginning academic work.

Code: 7300
Required score is:
IBT 90-91
CBT 233                              
Paper 577

Do you have rolling admissions?
Yes, we do have rolling admissions but note the priority deadlines above. Also be aware that in order to take advantage of potential scholarship opportunities applicants are advised to apply as early as possible.

Is an interview required?
All candidates who meet the minimum requirements for admission, as set forth in the application booklet are personally interviewed.

What is the average age of your students?
Our students range in age from 21 to 70.

How culturally diverse are the students?
Our student body is highly diverse. We currently have students from Israel, India, Africa, Nepal, France, Korea, Russia, Canada, China and all over the United States. We welcome students of every race, age, faith and gender preference.

How long is your program?
The program can be completed in 18-24 months, depending on whether you study full-time or part-time. 

When do classes meet?
Face to face classes meet on Wilf Campus (Washington Heights)
Tuesdays: 6:00pm – 10:00pm
Wednesdays: 9:00am – 4:00pm, 6:00pm – 10:00pm
Thursday:  9:00am – 4:00pm, 6:00pm – 10:00pm

Block Program (June and July)
Monday through Thursday:  9:00 AM to 4:30 PM

Online and live-online classes are also available at varying times. 

When does field work take place?
A student is required to do 21 hours of field work a week, that is, three seven hour days. Full-time Concurrent students usually do field work on Monday, Tuesday and Friday, although other arrangements are possible. Block Program students are expected to attend field placement five days a week, and take classes in June and July.

Do I have to find my own field placement?
Our Department of Field Work Instruction has placements throughout the New York Metropolitan area, and will do their best to find a placement that satisfies your learning and logistical needs. Possible field work placements include major New York hospitals, psychiatric day programs, rehab clinics, foster care agencies, and forensic placements.

If I currently work at a social service agency, can I complete a field placement during my first year in school?
In many cases an existing social service agency job may make a suitable field placement; however several conditions must be met. The final decision is left to the Director of Field Work Instruction. Contact our Field Work office for specific details.

When do I need to choose my area of concentration?
The area of concentration is chosen after the student has completed her first year of the Foundations Course and field work. For Concurrent, full-time students, this will be the beginning of the second year. For students who are extending their education, this may be at a later time.

If I took a few courses at another school, can I transfer them here?
If you took graduate social work courses at an accredited social work program, you may be able to transfer those credits towards your MSW degree here at WSSW. You need to bring us a transcript and course descriptions for all courses that you are requesting credits to be transferred from the other program to us. We will accept a maximum of 6 graduate transfer credits.

If you are in a social work program and wish to transfer to WSSW for your second year, the admissions office will evaluate your transcript and may accept all or part of your first year as transfer credits.

Once I am in the program, is there someone who will help me figure out which classes I should take?
All students are assigned advisors who will help you select courses, expand your learning experience, and troubleshoot any problems that arise in the course of your Wurzweiler education.

Can I get credit for "life experience"?
No, credit is only granted for formal education earned at an accredited institution--not for "life experience."

Any more questions? 
Email our admissions office at  or call us at 833-241-GRAD (4723).